So I needed an easy neat way to keep my tools together and traveling nicely. I also wanted them to be able to slide into my working apron with ease or tuck into a project bag.
This first book book works really well. I have been a bit rough on it and I have yet to loose bits… so all in all I am pretty happy.
I used this idea from Cosmo Cricket as the inspiration for the project.
I have two sets of tools that I need to keep together: e-textiles and serger tools so I am making two books. This tutorial outlines the first book of for e-textiles tools.
- glue (fabric glue. Aleene’s drys in 10-15 min )
- Closure (buttons, magnets or velcro all work, you can also re-purpose old belts and handbags)
- glue sticks
- tailor’s chalk
- sewing machine
- binder clips
- box cutter
- glue gun
- heat gun*
*Note required but nice to have.
Step 1: Find your books
Take your tools with you to the thrift store and dig through the piles of books until you have one that has a spine to accommodate the thickest tool and the area need to fit the rest. I tend to favor children’s books. This is what I found:
Step 2: Destruction and planning
Rip out the guts of the book… I like to save them to make random pop up cards and other bits of art… another reason I like children’s books the best.
Step 3: Prepare insert case
I chose to upcycle an old plastic box from a picture hanging kit i used up. I used the untily knife to cut off extra bits and cut slits for the thread I will be carrying.
Step 4: lining
Next cut out fabric to to cover the inside of the book with a .5″ seam allowance. Piece and sew any piece together you like to get the visual appeal you want. This is what I did.
Step 5: Inner security
You can use a combination of pockets, elastic and Velcro to hold down your tools. I used some corded elastic that I happen to have on hand. In the future I think I would go with flat elastic as it is easier to sew and lays down a bit neater.
Step 6: Installation
I used hot glue to glue in my straps and the guts of the book Going a little at a time and using a old credit card to mash it down.I struggled a bit with the glue coming through the fabric. I will be looking for a better glue down method in the future.